Everyone knows it is a big deal when your child says their first word, learns to walk, and is finally out of diapers. Those are really big moments and we celebrate them when they happen. But, there are some other really big moments that happen in our children’s lives that the baby books fail to take note of. So this blog post is dedicated to the lesser known milestones that are ignored but oh so important for moms everywhere.
1. The day your child finally learns how to drink WITHOUT backwash. I can’t even count the number of times I had a beverage of some kind and once a small child took a sip out of it I was done with it. After one sip I could see bits of food particles and gunk now floating on the surface. Yuck!!
2. The day your child finally figures out how to wipe their own ass. Sure, you just successfully potty trained your kid. Kudos to you! But your days of poop are far from over. For the next year or two you are still going to be wiping your kid’s ass, only now you have to bend over them and look down into a toilet bowl to do it.
3. The day your child graduates from a 5-Point Harness Car Seat to a Booster Seat. This was a big day for me. Buckling a child into a booster seat is so much easier than struggling with all those straps and fasteners, especially when your child is bundled in heavy winter gear.
4. The day your child is tall enough to reach the sink and get his or her own cup of water. It always happens. You sit down in front of the TV for five seconds only to have a child ask for a snack, or a glass of water, or something! Then on day your kid figures out that they can get it themselves and that is truly a magical moment.
5. The day your child learns to buckle their own seatbelt. I can now walk to my car, open my own door and sit down. Seriously! No more walking to the other side of the car, waiting for a child to scramble up into the booster seat and then reaching across them to buckle a seatbelt I can’t even see. Both my boys can now get in the car, close their own doors, and buckle their own damn seat belts. Halleluiah!!
6. The day your child finally learns to wipe their own ass really well. Yes, technically I already covered this topic, but there is wiping your ass, and actually cleaning your ass. It is my experience that boys in particular don’t really learn to clean their ass until they are about 11 years old. Every now and then I will do the laundry and come across a pair of underwear so disgusting I’m not even willing to put them in my washing machine so I just throw them out.
7. That magical day when you can actually make your child do manual labor! This summer my oldest has mowed the lawn every week, helped to stain a 50 foot deck, and helped my husband to rip out a chimney. I am starting to understand why farmers back in the day used to have a dozen children. Free labor!
Please feel free to add more magical milestones if you have one that I did not think of!!
If you enjoyed reading my blog please click the link below and vote for me. Just a click automatically gives a vote!